Believe it or not, people have been beekeeping and eating the honeycomb for thousands of years. Honeycomb comes straight from the hive; therefore, it’s bee honey in its most natural form. Whether you find a piece of the comb in your honey jar or specifically buy the comb itself, there are plenty of ways to use it in the kitchen. Discover how to use honeycomb as a cooking ingredient and get the most nutritional value from your favorite bee product.
Honeycomb Fun Facts
Before learning the best ways to use honeycomb in the kitchen, you should know some fun facts about it. Check out these sweet honeycomb facts!
- Bees build honeycombs in hexagonal shapes to help save space in the hive.
- Honeycomb is incredibly healthy for you. It may help maintain healthy liver function, improve cholesterol, and reduce seasonal allergies.
- The consistency is similar to chewing gum. It’s waxy and sweet, but it takes a while to chew.
- There are many wonderful ways to use honeycomb in the kitchen and in your daily life!
While you might think honeycomb is only good for cooking and eating, you can also take advantage of its beauty benefits. In fact, it may help remove toxins from your skin, reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, and give you a nice, warm glow.
Add It to Your Favorite Recipes
The best and easiest way to use honeycomb in the kitchen is to add it to your favorite everyday recipes. Whether you’re an avid chef or a beginner, you can successfully use honeycomb in your breakfast, lunch, and dinner meals.
Honey on toast definitely isn’t a new phenomenon, but you can also use honeycomb on bread, toast, scones, and bagels. While you might not think using honeycomb on bread is much different than regular honey, it spreads over bread nicely without the infamous honey drip.
To make your meal a little more interesting, consider adding your choice of cold-cut meat and your favorite cheese. Whether you prefer simple bread or savory sandwiches, you won’t regret adding honeycomb for an extra touch of flavor.
Pair With Cheese
Everyone loves cheese, whether it’s a mid-day snack break or an appetizer at a family gathering. Consider pairing honeycomb with any cheese of your choice for the ultimate sweet and savory snack. Whether you scoop the sweetness on top or eat them consecutively, honeycomb and cheese are the perfect everyday treat.
Add It to Pancake or Waffle Batter
Many people use vanilla extract or honey to make their pancake or waffle batter sweeter; you can also add honeycomb to your breakfast treat! Consider adding small chunks to your batter to make the pancakes or waffles sweeter. If you don’t want to put it in the batter, you can use it to garnish the top of your stack.
In Your Favorite Salad
Salads can be boring, but you can make them extra tasty by adding honeycomb. Start with a hearty serving of mixed greens, and then add crumbled goat cheese, walnuts or pecans, blueberries, and chunks of honeycomb. Although these ingredients may seem like an odd combination, the mixture of flavors makes for a decadent salad.
Eat Honeycomb by Itself
While you might think you need a dish or recipe to eat honeycomb, one of the best ways to eat it is by itself. If you have a sweet tooth, take a spoonful of honeycomb and enjoy the sweet and savory flavor. It’s an excellent way to start your morning, but it also works as a mid-day snack or a delectable dessert after dinner.
Make Honeycomb Candy
Making homemade candy can be incredibly difficult, but luckily, this honeycomb candy recipe is great for beginners. Believe it or not, this recipe consists of only four ingredients, and it’s oh-so-delicious. If you like crunchy treats, this recipe is for you!
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- ½ cup of water
- 2 tbsp of honeycomb
- 2 tsp of baking soda
- Line an 8x8 dish with parchment paper and set it aside.
- Add the sugar, honeycomb, and water to a saucepan and cook on medium-high heat for approximately 10 minutes or until the ingredients melt together.
- Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the baking soda until it stops foaming. Immediately pour the mixture into the parchment paper-lined dish.
- Let it cool for about 1 hour or until fully hardened. Break it into pieces and enjoy it as you desire!
Honeycomb Ice Cream-Topped Muffins
This recipe is so delicious, and there are two different ways to make it. You can make your own muffins or buy them pre-made from the store, but this recipe does not include the muffins. The beauty of this dessert is that you can measure with your heart since everyone’s taste preferences are different.
- Chocolate muffins
- Vanilla ice cream
- Chocolate chunks
- Honeycomb chunks
- Sliced strawberries
- Use a knife to cut a small section out of each muffin’s middle to shape it into a bowl.
- Combine the vanilla ice cream, chocolate chunks, and honeycomb chunks in a bowl, and then scoop the mixture into the muffins.
- Garnish the top with sliced strawberries and enjoy immediately.
Honeycomb Glazed Chicken Tenders
Although you might think there are no good chicken recipes left to try, this sweet but savory dish is an incredible way to eat chicken. If you love using sweet sauces on your chicken tenders, this recipe is for you!
- 1 ½ lbs chicken tenderloins
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 eggs
- 1 ¼ cup of panko bread crumbs
- 2 tsp of garlic powder
- ¼ cup of honey
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- Small honeycomb chunks
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit, and then line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Add salt and pepper to both sides of each tenderloin.
- Whisk the eggs in a bowl, and then combine the bread crumbs and garlic powder in a separate bowl.
- Dip each chicken tenderloin into the egg and then the bread crumbs. Be sure to coat each side generously. Evenly space each piece on the baking sheet, and then bake for approximately 15 minutes.
- While the chicken bakes, make the glaze. Combine honey, melted butter, and lemon juice in a bowl. Drizzle the glaze over each piece of chicken, top with small honeycomb chunks, and enjoy!
If you’re unsure how or where to get it, Crystal’s Honey has natural honeycomb for sale. Enjoy the sweet flavor and health benefits of this incredible bee product every day! Whether you eat it by itself or try a new recipe, learning how to use honeycomb as a cooking ingredient is an excellent way to improve your kitchen skills.